Sunday, January 31, 2010

Outdoor Winter


Finn and I have been trying on bright sunny, blue sky days and also on colder, gray, "why are we outside" days to get some fresh air and enjoy the backyard. Out the backdoor we'll typically take the sled and slide our way back into the trees where Finn likes to say hello to the Christmas tree who now lives out back trying to avoid the garbage truck. Soon he is waving goodbye and we are off to find squirrels and other animal tracks. We lay on the ground and look up at the leafless trees and the clouds and blow "smoke" out our mouths into the cold air. After tiring of this we go into the igloo which now has, thanks to a few days above 35 degrees, a prominent hole in its southwest corner. Generally, all of this activity has been broken up by moments of me finding a mitten on the ground. I'll take off my mittens, replace Finn's and bring his sleeve back down tightly around the mitten's cuff then put my mittens back on. Shortly, a mitten will be back on the ground and the cycle repeats itself a few more times until both of our hands are cold and Finn wants to go inside.

So to solve this dilemma I got out the duct tape and for the duration of our time outside the mittens are securely in place. My hands warm. Finn's hands warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment